Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day!

One of the greatest things about living in the Midwest as a child was the opportunity for SNOW DAYS! An unexpected day off school! Wooo!! I didn't care if the roads were bad or if we were going to be stuck at home all day. It was thrilling. Usually there was enough snow on the ground to go sledding, and my house was THE place to be for sledding in the neighborhood. The backyard was a gigantic uninterrupted hill. It was awesome. My brother and I would bundle up and head out for hours. We were usually joined by various neighbor kids and we'd swap sleds and partners and sled until our toes were numb (and sometimes right through the numb toes)!

As I've grown up, Snow Days haven't been quite as exciting. In college, we rarely had classes canceled due to snow - and even if we did, we were just thankful we had a few extra hours to finish that paper. My job during college didn't care about the weather. We were always open - even if we only had 5 customers all night.

Then I got my first "real" job. Suddenly, I was rooting for snow days again. As a dance school, if we canceled classes, office staff didn't usually have to come in! When I left that job, I assumed that was the end of that, but once again, I chose to work at a company that takes days off due to weather!

So this past week I have been sitting around pining for a snow day. Tuesday afternoon they forecasted a big snow storm and snow we got. Unfortunately, it started after I had been at work for a couple hours...so I had to drive home in it. Not my ideal, but I got out of work a couple hours early!

Then yesterday, they started predicting a severe ice storm. It was supposed to begin around 3pm, but luckily (for everyone who HAD to drive home from work and school and the likes) it didn't start until nearly 8pm, so there were rumors flying around regarding closing for the next day. So, just like when I was younger, I sat in bed last night praying that there would be no school on Friday.

I woke up this morning (at 5:15am) to Rob scraping ice off his car. I told him to check the TV before he left to make sure the roads were drivable...he said "they just said to be careful."

Damn.

Then I couldn't go back to sleep, so I turned on the TV to see just what was going on. Was the storm not as bad as they had predicted? I start reading the scroll on the bottom of the screen and it is listing all the outlying districts and as time goes by, a few more local districts start showing up. Then I get the call. We're cancelling for the AM! WAHOO!

As soon as it gets light outside, I get up to check out just what miracle is keeping me home. And I find this:

Pretty, huh? But not worthy to get out and about in. Thank you God!

So today, instead of sitting behind my stupid desk and wondering how pass the time until 4pm, I get to stay at home and do whatever I want! I laid in bed until 10am and watched all of the Today's Show and plan on catching up on a few other daytime programs. :) I can also catch up on laundry, dishes, wrapping presents, loading up the iPod and maybe even a workout on the elliptical! Yay!

No comments: