Sunday, August 24, 2008

Like a Bald Man's Head


Like a bald man's head. Interesting phrase.

I went back to Council Bluffs last weekend for Michael's wedding. Among other things, we went to see the Lewis and Clark Monument. Now I lived in CB for some 20 years and return a number of times each year since, but I'm not sure I had ever been up to this monument. For those of you who don't know, let me give you a little history lesson. Council Bluffs is named so because when Lewis and Clark were traveling across the great Midwest for President Jefferson, they came across this area where the Missouri River cuts through the land and had created these magnificent hills (the Loess Hills). Here they had a meeting with a tribe of Indians...a "council on a bluff."

ANYWAY. Since we had family in from Germany, my mom decided to take us up there. Really, nothing more than a look out point with some plaques and a flag pole. Still...great views. But, thats not the point of the story. As I was walking around skimming the plaques, I came across the one above. Just seemed like an odd phrase..."Like a bald man's head." Ok.

I actually learned a lot on this trip home. I say home losely too as one of the things I learned was my parents house in Ankeny was sold and therefore my mother will soon be moving out to Idaho with my dad. Yikes. Its a scary thing that I don't like to think about. That is not just an afternoon drive to go for a visit. There were some realizations and some facts I learned that made me rethink what I thought I knew. It was just a four day trip, longer than most, but still short, and I felt changed as I drove back to Peoria.

Like a bald man's head. You think you know a man's head until he shaves it and you see that there are bumps and lumps and freckles you never knew about.

No comments: