Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Can See the Potential!

Last week my mother came to visit. Its always nice to have her around as she helps fix up my house...and this time was no exception.

When I bought my house, it was not a "oh this house is adorable, I want to live in it forever." No. It was a steal and a major fixer-upper. See below.


See. It looks like a shack. The inside was just as bad. But I saw the potential. It just needed some TLC and a little elbow grease. Rob and I got to work on the inside immediately. Ripping out carpet and refinishing the original hard wood floors, painting and patching the walls. It was a lot of work! The outside of the house however, continued to look like a shack. My mother and grandmother came in May and brought enormous amounts of flowers and plants with them. The transformation began! We spent all weekend pulling weeds, picking out rocks and planting. What a change!

Still, the shack looked remained. While I love the huge porch up front, all the wood made the house look like it should have been in the middle of the woods in Montana. My mother kept saying she wanted to come out and paint it. I knew it would make a big change, but I felt bad having her come out here to do it. I could do it. I just need the time! Under unfortunate circumstances, she came to Peoria last week and armed herself with paint clothes and informed me that she would be painting the front of my house. Well....if she's here... So we went and picked out colors and she got to work while I was at work. Rob's mom came and helped a little and I helped when I got home, but for the most part my mom was out in the nasty sticky heat painting the front of my house. I felt a bit guilty, but seeing the end result, all I could say was Thank You!!!! I no longer look like I live in a shack!!

See, now it looks like a house! Yay! I can't wait until this humidity disappears and I can sit out on my fresh porch and enjoy my morning coffee. :)

No comments: