Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Love

Sometimes life gives you just what you need.

A few weeks ago, I was going through a rough patch (okay maybe for a few months). Work was blah. Life was blah. Relationships were crap. I was just in one of those down times. I had to work one Saturday morning and as I sat at the desk counting down the time until I could leave, one of our special needs kids came in the office. We've been introduced a couple times but he'd never talked to me before. He came right up to me and introduced himself, so politely I introduced myself back. He then took my hand and said, "I love you very much."

I think I almost cried. It was just sweet and unexpected and it was something I needed to hear...even if it was from a random child.

Later that same day I went over to my friend's house. Her two daughters were eating a snack at the table so I went and sat with them and chatted. They told me what they had been up to and how they liked the flower in my hair. I got up at one point to get a drink and the youngest started talking and then said, "You know what, I love you."

There's a line in an old movie that I used to watch with my roommates that said something to the effect of "Little children and old men don't say it for it to be said in return" in reference to "I love you."

Its just something interesting to ponder.

No comments: