Friday, July 2, 2010

I Did It!

As I was skimming through my old posts, I came across the one from last September in which I let my opinion about running be known. My last statement was that I just wanted to be able to say I ran a 5K.

Well guess what!?

I ran a 4 mile race!!

(That's longer than a 5k.)

And I didn't die. And I did it in a decent time.

I'm pretty proud of myself and have been telling everyone.

Now I didn't do it without some help. It started back in April, when a friend convinced me to check out the Building Steam program. It was a running training program that was to get you trained for the Steamboat Classic, a 4 mile race. It was supposed to be for runners of all abilities. I had just gotten out of a relationship, so I figured 1. it would help me get out and meet people, 2. it would help me get out and meet guys, and 3. it would help me get into shape (since #2 was going to occur). So I went and signed up for it.

Every Wednesday evening, I would meet up with my group and run. The first night was like a time trial...we had to run one mile and then according to our time we were placed in groups. That was the first mile I'd run since high school...and I'm not even sure I ran a full mile in high school! But I wasn't all that bad. I landed in an 11:30 pace group. The group started with a three minute run, three minute walk and from that worked up to 4 miles! All while keeping our pace of 11:30. I didn't want to go every week, but I almost always made myself (only missed two weeks). I always felt good afterward. I even ran a few times on my own.

Sadly though, I did not meet any new people. No new men. But I have a new appreciation for running. On multiple occasions it made me think of the ad from "What Women Want"


No comments: