Monday, March 14, 2011

Three Decades

Today is my 30th birthday. I have now been traipsing around on this earth for 3 decades.

Wow.

When I was 21 I had a timeline for myself. I wanted things for myself in a timely manner...on my schedule. Ya know, cute boy, engagement, wedding, house, baby, etc. When I hit the first major year of that timeline and hadn't hit the goal, I was thrown off a little. A little flustered. I adjusted a bit. A second year on my milestone timeline came and went and I was not able to check it off either.

I got it. The timeline was crap. And out the window it went. I realized I have to take things as they come, whenever they come. And most importantly, believe they will.

One thing I did vow to myself was that there were certain things I didn't want when I turned 30. I didn't want to be in a strained relationship. Or in a job I hated. I didn't want to dwell on the negative things that had happened. And I wanted more general things. I want to be happy. I want a social life that included helping people. I want to be surrounded by positive people.

And for the most part, I have hit THOSE marks. And if I'm not all the way there, I am making a whole-hearted effort to get there. Its not the silly tangible things of my youth, its the things that make me who I am and how I feel about myself and my life.

So bring on the 30's. I'm ready for them. I'm open to what they may bring, but I'm not putting any timeline on them.

No comments: